New kits and training aim to ‘Stop the Bleed’

Sofa Hopper, Staff Reporter

Walking down the 300-wing or by the main office, students may have noticed the new bleeding control kits affixed to the wall and wondered about the contents. Located next to the AEDs throughout the building, the bleeding control kits are a precaution for possible disasters that could occur, such as an earthquake or mass-casualty events.

The contents of the kids can be used by students or staff to stop or slow life-threatening bleeding. The large kits on the wall contain eight individual bleeding control kits inside of one large box. Individual kits include a tourniquet, gauze, quikclot and gloves.

Trainings were conducted as part of a partnership between the Snoqualmie Fire Department, Snoqualmie Valley Hospital and the SVSD school nurses. Spearheaded by Snoqualmie Fire Department Lieutenant Dan Fouts, the program will train staff across the district, as well as provide bleeding control kits for each classroom district-wide.

In November, MSHS staff members received training on how to use the bleeding control kits during their planning periods. The training included learning to identify life-threatening bleeding, apply tourniquets, and pack wounds.

Called “Stop the Bleed,” the training was part of a nationwide effort to train non-medical personnel to stop uncontrolled bleeding. Bleeding is the leading preventable cause of death after mass-casualty events, and in many accidents as well. According to the Stop the Bleed Coalition, 35 percent of deaths that occur before an injured person reaches the hospital are due to bleeding.

“We eventually will train the students as well,” school nurse Margie Blackmon said, “We’re not there yet; obviously we have to train the teachers.”

Individual kits are on the way to the building, and will be added to the emergency backpacks in each classroom. Stop the Bleed trainings are also being held at other schools throughout the district as the year progresses.

For more information about stopping life-threatening bleeding, visit bleedingcontrol.org