Cat Tales

New staff member–Chloe Traynor

Chloe Traynor

Chloe Traynor

Grace Stetson, Staff Reporter

Job Title: “I teach 9th and 10th grade language arts, but mostly 9th grade, I only have one class of 10th graders.”

Education: “I got both my Bachelors and Masters degree at Seattle University. I guess I just wanted to go back twice. I don’t know, I don’t know why I went to the same school twice, but yeah, that’s where I went to school.”

Experience: “I taught at Mount Rainier High School in Des Moines, it’s out near SeaTac, for a year and a half. I started my student teaching there and then I started full time teaching there.”

Favorite thing about MSHS so far: “There’s so many things . . . first of all the community is really supportive no matter what I do, if I go to a football game or debate club or just walk around, I feel like everyone kind of has each other’s backs and I like that sense of community. I really like the staff here, I think the teachers here really are dedicated to creating really wholesome people. There’s also creative freedom here that I get to do as an English teachers that’s really cool like get kids to think about themselves and who they are, I like that.”

What would your students be surprised to find out about you? “When I was in High School I was in a band called ‘Bad Bikini’, I played bass in that horrible band . . .  And I’m obsessed with true crime! I still play bass, but I started when I was 13. It was all girls, we were a kickbutt all-girl band. We did a lot of covers, but we probably wrote three original songs; we covered a lot of Blink 182. One of our songs was called ‘Sunburned Daydream’ which was one of the worst songs ever written.”

If you won the lottery and decided to give up teaching, what would you do instead? “I would go on a very long vacation, that’s the first thing I would do and then I would probably start a non-profit where kids could learn to play music for free, and I would by In-And-Out the chain!

“I would like to go to Sicily, it’s an island in Italy, I have family there and I’ve never been . . . it’s beautiful.”

Do you have any pets and what are their names?  “I have a dog, his name is Corona. He lives in California with my family so I don’t get to see him anymore–super sad. He’s a terrier mix, he looks like a lab puppy that doesn’t get big–so cute. I got him when I was in high school, he’s probably seven.”

Is there anything else you want to add? “My door is always open if you wanna come talk, I’m a pretty talkative, nice person, I’m good at giving advice sometimes.”