New staff member–Erik Spohn

Erik Spohn

Erik Spohn

Sydney Check, Staff Reporter

What is your official job title“I’m listed as a teacher. I teach chemistry and two of the integrated science classes.”

What is your educational background? Where did you go to school? “I graduated from Portland High school in Connecticut. And then I did my Bachelors  program at UConn, University of Connecticut. I got it [bachelors] in History and geography.After that I went to Central Washington University where I got my science background. I got my teaching endorsement from WGU, it’s an online program.”

What is your experience in your profession? “This is my first year as a teacher, I spent all last year as an observer and a student teacher here at Mount Si high school. I’ve been working in youth programs, specifically at summer camps for the past ten years.”

What do you like best about MSHS so far? “I like the people. All of my fellow teachers are super nice and supportive. The administrators are friendly. My students are all pleasant to me, they stop by and wave to me all the time.”

Have you always wanted to be a teacher? “No, I definitely did not want to be a teacher when I was younger. High school, people recommended me to be a teacher, and said like ‘Oh, hey, you’re smart, you could totally teach,’  and I was like ‘No, I hate high schoolers. Teenagers suck.’ I had that opinion all throughout college, but people kept recommending to me that I be a teacher, especially after I started my camp program. They were like ‘Why didn’t you teach? It’d be perfect. Summer camps in the summer, teach all winter,’ but I didn’t want to be a teacher, especially not for history. I definitely hated chemistry all through high school and  college. Out of the two things that I definitely didn’t want to do, it was teach or do chemistry.”

Who has been your biggest role model? “In general, Jake the Dog from’ Adventure Time.’ But in teaching, definitely Mr. [David] Ramseyer. I spent a year with him learning best practices and how to be a reflective teacher. Also Mrs. [Jessica] Green from the Freshman campus– I worked in her AVID classroom all last year. I learned AVID strategies but also getting to speak to a newer teacher gave me different perspectives than Mr. Ramseyer– easier to relate to. Strong leadership skills but also realistic in expectations.”

If you could have any superpower, what would you want? “I kind of always dug Wolverine’s regenerative powers. That would benefit me, keep me young. I could take more risks without risk of permanent damage.”

What is your favorite movie? Hands down: ‘Jurassic Park.’ As a kid that loved dinosaurs in the early 90s, ‘Jurassic Park’ was just a love letter to paleontology. It brought real dinosaurs to general audiences for the first time in a way that they’ve never seen them before. Revolutionary special effects, CGI, animatronics they bring the dinosaurs to life. Dinosaurs at the time were scientifically sad and destroyed people’s conceptions conceptions of dinosaurs to like, monsters. These ones still ate you, but they were turned into real animals. It was beautiful. All the sequels however, I really do not like.”

Is there anything else you would like to share or like us to know?  “I’m the adviser for the roleplaying game club. We play games like Dungeons and Dragons on Mondays and Wednesdays. I’m also the adviser for anime club, we watch Japanese animated shows and movies as well as draw together, have snacks on Tuesdays after school from 2:30 to 3:30 in Room 126.”