PSAT will be offered in-person in January

Juniors must register by Dec. 16 to participate

Sam Husemann, Editor

After hosting an in-person SAT event for certain students this fall, Mount Si High School will now offer the PSAT/NMSQT to students on Jan. 26.

“Due to COVID and social distancing requirements, we do not have the capacity to test all students on site,” associate principal Vernie Newell said.

Unlike in past years, this PSAT will only be offered to students in the junior class.

“[This will be] for juniors only as this is the PSAT/NMSQT (National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test),” Newell said.

Juniors who take this assessment will be eligible for the National Merit Scholarship program if they score in the top 5 percent nationally, according to the Mount Si website.

To register, juniors who want to take the PSAT will have to fill out this form by Dec. 16. No late submissions will be accepted.

However, as with many other events this year, there remains some uncertainty about if this plan will come to fruition, in part due to the evolving situation regarding COVID-19.

“The plan is to hold the PSAT/NMSQT, however there may be outside factors that cause the school to cancel,” Newell said. “Let’s hope not.”

Students can find more information at this webpage, and can direct any questions to their counselor.