Spikeball tournament raises over $600 for Seattle Childrens

Sarah Bailey, Staff Reporter

Have you been keeping up with this new game that has taken over the Valley? Well the Mount Si Med Squad Guild definitely has been. 

Over the end of September, the members of the guild, Joe Simmons, Matt MacLean, Jackson Buell, Corbin Moore, Tate Stedman, Jacob Lacewelll, Shane Dowling, Mikey McCalum, Solomon Reeves, Jamison Markley, Eli Spence, Grayson Dolan and Nate J. Harris, all thought of the idea to raise money through a fun and competitive tournament of Spikeball. 

After getting in touch with Seattle Childrens Hospital through the Junior Guild Association, they began to spread the news to all Mount Si students about the charity tournament with posters and sign-ups at every lunch. 

The Seattle Children’s Guild Association is the largest all-volunteer fundraising network consisting of multiple guilds, like the one here at Mount Si, that put on various fundraisers throughout the year for the hospital. 

On Oct. 5, about 20 teams showed up to Tourgason Park to win their way to the top. With a tournament buy-in of $20 per team and an abundance of donations collected at lunches, the Mount Si Med Guild raised over $600. On top of that, the winning team, Colby Botten and Jabe Mullins won a small prize of $90. 

“The thing that was most enjoyable was knowing that we held a fun event that was also for a good cause. It’s a good feeling when the things we plan as a group are successful and fun,” Guild member Joe Simmons said. 

The Mount Si Med Squad has been working with Childrens Hospital since they were founded in 2017, and have put on many fundraisers throughout their time. Just this past summer the guild held a garage sale where they raised over $2,000. 

Don’t forget to keep your eyes peeled for another opportunity to have fun and raise money for a good cause at the same time through our very own junior guild here at Mount Si. 

“We are definitely going to be hosting a second tournament sometime in the Spring with bigger brackets and prizes. I think it would be awesome to get at least 32 teams together,” Guild member Matt MacLean said.