Cat Tales

Robotics team wraps up season

During+the+robotics+meet+at+the+FC%2C+Davis+Sauer+and+Natalie+Cowan+maneuver+their+robot+through+the+appointed+task.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Robotics team wraps up season

During the robotics meet at the FC, Davis Sauer and Natalie Cowan maneuver their robot through the appointed task.

Abby Laufer

Abby Laufer

Abby Laufer

Abby Laufer, Staff Reporter

The robotics club recently just competed in the interleague competition, rounding out the end of their season.

FTC, or FIRST Tech Challenge, is a not-for-profit organization that creates and hosts competitions for teams of middle to high school students. Each year, FTC releases a video at the beginning of the season explaining the challenges for the new competition. It is up to the teams to build and program their own robot and compete against each other.

Mount Si has two FTC teams in the robotics club, and both had many great accomplishments throughout the season.

Each of the teams had a successful autonomous, or pre-programmed routine, and driving bot that is able to score points.

In the month before the interleague competition, MSHS hosted two scrimmages at the Freshman Campus to give some practice to teams in the area.

On Dec. 16, the MSHS teams attended the Tesla-sponsored FTC Interleague match, hosted in the Amazon Doppler building. This competition started at 8 a.m., with judging on engineering notebooks and inspecting robots, and lasted until 5:30 p.m., after all of the qualifying matches, finalist matches, awarding, and even a couple of dance breaks.

Unfortunately, neither of MSHS robotics’ teams will be continuing on to state, but that didn’t discourage them from preparing them for the next year and spreading robotics throughout the community.

“Even though our robots’ performance was not stellar, our team succeeded in many other ways. Our team worked well together to problem solve and work around many challenges, really building a sense of community,” said Delaney Edwards, a member of the advanced team in MSHS robotics.

About the Contributor