Six students named to honor bands

Back to Article
Back to Article

Six students named to honor bands

Students named to honor bands

Students named to honor bands

Cat Tales staff

Students named to honor bands

Cat Tales staff

Cat Tales staff

Students named to honor bands

Juliana Estrada, Staff Reporter

Adding to the long list of achievements the band program has accomplished, six students were chosen to perform in the Western International Band Clinic Honor Bands.

These students, Erik Thurston, Mary Piekarczyk, James Kolke, Ryan Myrvold, Eli Wray and Hannah Stoddard, had to audition for their spot in the bands by sending in three recordings of themselves playing the difficult audition pieces.

The event occurred in November and included hours of rehearsals, watching bands from other schools perform and ending the four days with a the performance of the honor bands.

“We are very proud of the six Mount Si High School Band members for being accepted to perform with the 2018 Western International Band Clinic Honor Bands. James, Ryan, Mary, Hannah, Erik, and Eli are dedicated musicians who represented our program with integrity and professionalism at this prestigious event,” band director Bill Leather said.

Two of the six students, Mary Piekarczyk and James Kolke, will perform in the Washington Music Educators Association All-State Concert Band at the National Association for Music Educators All-Northwest Conference in Portland, Oregon. They will be representing Mount Si in February and also auditioned for this ensemble as well.

“Being named to the WMEA All-State band is a tremendous honor. Both James and Mary will be representing Mount Si High School at the NAfME All-Northwest Conference in Portland as some of the very best musicians in the state of Washington. We are extremely proud of their commitment to excellence,” Leather said.